Living Jesus is a six-week program designed especially for those responsible for shaping others’ faith, those whom the Spirit is moving to new responsibility for or in the Church, and those who are going “out into deeper water” (those who are exploring, reviving, or deepening their faith). Living Jesus now becomes a parish preparatory requirement for many sacraments.
Infant Baptism: Parents anticipating infant baptism will have approximately nine months to fit the six weeks of Living Jesus into their schedule (instead of the former “baptism class”). Living Jesus will run seasonally, so expectant parents are encouraged to participate in mid-pregnancy rather than wait until they have a newborn to attend.
1st Communion: Parents anticipating a child’s 1st Holy Communion will be expected to participate in Living Jesus any time during the 21 months preceding the anticipated sacrament.
Confirmation: Parents anticipating a youth’s Confirmation will be expected to participate in Living Jesus any time during the 33 months preceding the anticipated sacrament. (For many, that will be while the youth is in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade.)
· At this time, there will be no additional fees for the program or the meals.
· If anyone has participated in Living Jesus within the five years preceding the date of a sacrament requiring it, the requirement will be reckoned as already fulfilled.
· By “parent,” I mean custodial parents or guardians, or the adults domiciled with the minor.
· If parents are unable to complete the program within the usual window, a child’s anticipated sacrament will not be cancelled, but merely delayed until the parents are able to complete it.
· Parents who may need babysitting or childcare are asked to say so when they register, so that preparations can be made. Children will have about 25 minutes to participate in the meal before they are routed to childcare or religious education.
The next opportunities for Living Jesus are:
1. Mondays 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., October 3 to November 14, except Halloween (dinner included)
2. Sundays 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., January 22 to February 26 (lunch included)
3. Mondays 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., February 27 to April 10, except March 20 (dinner included)